THE HYBRID FUTURE: TRADITIONAL VS VIRTUAL WORKSPACES
This edition of Community Connect started with Daniel as a tradition appreciating everyone for always making out time to be part of this positive-impact-making community.
After the appreciation address, the attendees were all given the opportunity to make a proper introduction of themselves. And just like other times, we had in our midst people from different work fields.
This idea of allowing people to introduce themselves has yielded positive results as there have been positive reports of Networks and connections being established as testified by the guests.
TOPIC OF DISCUSSION
Daniel, who moderated the event, suggested that each of these workspaces outlined in the topic with the benefits and challenges to the employers and the employees be discussed individually.
The community agreed with him as this would give deeper insight into the topic and give everyone the opportunity to air their views and make contributions as well. With that being said, the floor was thrown open for contributions.
THE TRADITIONAL WORKSPACE
The first workspace deliberated on was the Traditional kind of workspace.
Sadiq made a brief input saying that the Traditional workspace is the kind of work setting where there has to be a physical location where the business operates.
BENEFITS OF THE TRADITIONAL WORKSPACE TO THE EMPLOYER
- The employer takes complete control of the office environment, therefore, giving him the opportunity to mold his company culture to ensure optimum output.
CHALLENGES OF THE TRADITIONAL WORKSPACE TO THE EMPLOYER
- COST: The cost of maintaining the physical structure of the office is usually high. The cost of rent, utility, furniture, equipment, and lots more can add up to the hefty expenses to be accumulated by the employer.
BENEFITS OF THE TRADITIONAL WORKSPACE TO THE EMPLOYEE
- COLLABORATION: A physical location where employees meet increases the chances of collaboration thereby enabling employees to share ideas that will boost efficiency and effectiveness.
CHALLENGES OF THE TRADITIONAL WORKSPACE TO THE EMPLOYEE
- Employees are limited by operation to the area where the office is located. A qualified employee that is not in the geographical location where the office is situated cannot possibly work for the organization.
THE VIRTUAL WORKSPACE
As opined by an attendee, a virtual workspace is a kind of work environment where office space is not required. This is made possible through the use of personal computers, smartphones, and other relevant technologies.
BENEFITS OF THE VIRTUAL WORKSPACE TO THE EMPLOYER
- COST: The overhead cost that would have ordinarily been incurred in a physical workspace is avoided. Costs like paying for rent, utilities, maintenance fees, etc are not incurred by the employer.
CHALLENGES OF THE VIRTUAL WORKSPACE TO THE EMPLOYER
- LESS CONTROL: The employer does not fully have control over his employees as would have been the case in the physical workspace setting.
BENEFITS OF THE VIRTUAL WORKSPACE TO THE EMPLOYEE
- The employee is able to work from anywhere around the globe. Geographical location is no longer a barrier to him.
CHALLENGES OF THE VIRTUAL WORKSPACE TO THE EMPLOYEE
- DISTRACTIONS: The employee is prone to distractions, especially from family and friends around him.
THE HYBRID FUTURE
A guest explained that the hybrid kind of workspace occurs when an organization offers its employee a mix of the traditional and the virtual work setting. He further explained that the employees are given the flexibility to work remotely from home and to come in to the office as agreed upon by both the employer and the employee.
In a hybrid workplace, employees enjoy more autonomy and better work. Employers benefit by building a more productive, healthy, stable workforce.
Prior to the outbreak of the Covid-19 virus, the whole world never believed that a time would come when businesses would be locked down for months. Employers are now adapting to this hybrid future experienced during the outbreak.
As an employee, however, you have to equip yourself with relevant tech skills in order to survive the hybrid future.
We also had an interactive session where everyone who was present at the event had an opportunity to choose between the virtual workplace setting, traditional workspace, and hybrid workspace which they preferred and why.
After that, we also extensively talked about the different advantages and disadvantages of each of the workspaces and it was on that note we ended the event.
At Abia Tech Hub, we train like-minds with the relevant tech skills to equip them for this hybrid workspace future.
Please do not forget to follow us on all our social media platforms to stay updated with all our events.