COMMUNITY CONNECT (14TH EDITION)
Definition of Freelancing and Remote Jobs
Freelancing is defined as self-employment, they deliver their services based on a contract or project basis.
While Remote job is defined as a type of flexible working arrangement that allows an employee to work from a remote location outside of a corporate or office environment. It can also be called (working from home or Telecommuting)
HOW TO NAVIGATE FREELANCING
- Start with one, learn it properly, and become good at the skill
- Before you decide to freelance, look at the market and choose the skill that has a higher demand and tilt towards it.
- Understand your skill set
- Learn how to communicate, both by speaking and writing: when you are given a job, you can make your suggestions but do not enforce them on the client. Always do as instructed.
- Always respond to messages immediately, so that your client does not lose you to another person.
- Make sure to put out jobs that you have done on platforms where you can get through to your target audience and know the exact channel where you can reach out to your potential clients like GIT Hub, LinkedIn, etc.
- After you have built a portfolio, start reaching out to people and pitching your business\skill.
- You can start by volunteering even if it is for free so as to garner experience and build up your CV.
- Learn the act of filtering your clients so as to prioritize yourself.
- Build your Email and consistently check your mail.
- One thing you should always know as a freelancer is how taxing works, this would help you make good salary deals.
PLATFORMS THAT CAN BE USED TO BUILD A FREELANCING CAREER
- Upwork: set up your Upwork account, take the test and start applying for jobs.
PROJECT MANAGEMENT TOOLS EVERY FREELANCER NEEDS TO KNOW ABOUT
- Asana: this is an app that assigns tasks to you.
- Loom: loom is a platform that helps you record videos and shares them with your clients so that they can see how far you have gone with their job.
- Clickup: to track tasks and set deadlines and reminders
TYPES OF GIGS ON FREELANCING PLATFORMS
- Some take-home nuggets from the event
- Before you start freelancing, make sure to be very good with your skills
- Also, a freelancer has to be very proactive
- Make sure to keep applying for jobs even in the midst of rejections
- Once you land your first job on any of these freelancing platforms, you would start to get more Gigs and recommendations.
Community Connect holds bi_weekly on Fridays, and we would love for you to come to join our community and create a network with like minds. You can also follow us on all our social media platforms @Abiatechhub to keep tabs on necessary information.
Other highlights from the event in pictures